Following the Palace Revolt in 1961, Bizzarrini left Ferrari and eventually set up on his own in 1966, producing the 5300 Strada and P538 sports racer. However, Bizzarrini also sought to produce a more affordable sports car, resulting in the 1900 GT Europa in 1967.
Unlike the 1900 Europa’s older brother, which was powered by a Chevrolet V8, the smaller Bizzarrini drew its power from the robust 1900-cc Opel engine, developing 110 bhp and mounted amidship between the front axle and the driver. Weighing just 650 kg (thanks to the use of fiberglass for its body) and boasting independent suspension, a limited-slip differential and four-wheel disc brakes, the Europa was a potent prospect. It is believed that just 12 were built, so this is a car you aren’t bound to see that often. Back in 1966 however, the 1900 GT Europa was the star of the Bizzarrini stand at that year’s Salone dell’Automobile in Turin and one of the most notable prototypes in the whole exhibition, holding its own in the popularity contest with more well-known cars like the Dino 206, Maserati Ghibli, and De Tomaso Mangusta. The “baby” GT by Giotto Bizzarrini!
The GT only weighs 650kg, but the drive and the handling feel more stable than a similarly not-heavy Lotus perhaps, and in the bends the car always responds neutrally and behaves exactly how you’d want and expect something of its size and layout to. The interior’s look is not what you’d call refined, as this is more or less a working prototype with plates on it, but it’s black, mean by way of eschewing any luxury beyond basic upholstery and gauges—it looks racing-oriented, and in short, it’s just so Bizzarrini!
Bizzarrinis are rare cars indeed, with the 1900 GT Europa rarer still. This Europa represents an infrequent opportunity to acquire a sleek GT from one of the masters of car design.
This example was sold new to Italy in 1969 to Giovani Caruso who kept it 35 years before donated to his son who sold it to France. This car is very special because it has a lightweight chassis and a more powerful engine of about 225 PS developed by Conrero. It was intended to be used in rally but never ran. This was the last example built before the bankrupcy. The car was restored by Diomante in 2010.
The four-cylinder 1.9 engine was then developed to deliver the power of 225 PS thanks to the installation of a special cylinder head, the Kügelfisher power supply and an exhaust system without muffler, ensuring a maximum speed of 235 km/h with acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.2 seconds.
This completely nut and bolt restored example has done only about 2.000 kilometres since its restoration.
|First registration date||11.05.1969|
|Engine||1.897 ccm, 225 PS, I4|
|Steering||Left Hand Drive|
|Layout||Rear Wheel Drive|
|Color - exterior||Red / White|
|Color - interior||Black|
|Miles/Kilometers shown||35.000 kms (2.000 kms since restoration)|
|Chassis / VIN||B 523|
|Location - Country||Czech Rep.|
|Location - City||Prague|
2-door coupe body type; RWD (rear-wheel drive), manual 4-speed gearbox; gasoline (petrol) engine with displacement: 1897 cm3, advertised power: 225 PS; characteristic dimensions: outside length: 3790 mm, width: 1620 mm, wheelbase: 2200 mm; reference weights: base curb weight: 650 kg max. (lighter competition chassis) top speed: 235 km/h; accelerations: 0-100 km/h 7.2 s